Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Margins and export filters

From: Nix N. Nix
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Margins and export filters
Date: 13 Mar 2003 16:05:48 -0700

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 03:30, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > document exported by TeXmacs should try to use the defaults of TeXmacs.
> >
> > Additionally, that "TeXmacs defaults" part should be well identified
> > so it would be easy for a LaTeX user to remove it later.
>
> Maybe that using the defaults from TeXmacs is indeed reasonable after all.
> In that case, it should be easy to remove the defaults a posteriori and
> easy to disable this behaviour so as to force preservation of structure.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to tie in nicely with the
way defaults are stored in TeXmacs documents, right ?  After all, we
/do/ have that "initial" tree.  If we can create a similar (if not
equivalent) block for LaTeX before we say \begin{document}, we'd be all
set, wouldn't we ?  It would be an easily identifiable block, and it
would contain TeXmacs defaults.

And, as the discussion went earlier, it seems that make_document (), or
something similar would accomplish the task of getting the full tree to
the converters.

I'm still unclear on the matter of selections, however:  AFAIK, the
function responsible for actually triggering tmtex-produce, namely
tree_to_tex_latex, currently gets (in its parameters) the style tree and
the language.  So, conceptually, we cannot use that function for
selections, because it will expect stuff that is not part of a
selection, but pertains to complete documents alone.

So, for selections, we need a function that accepts a different kind of
tree (one containing document information only) than for entire
documents (a tree containing "initial", "style", and whatever else for
subtrees).

Clearly, tmtex-produce can still be factored out.  I suppose, when you
will have finished all the code shuffling, all this will have been taken
care of.