Purpose of --no-raw-escapes

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Purpose of --no-raw-escapes
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:08:27 +0100

The --no-raw-escapes option to "info" is documented as removing ANSI
escape sequences, but this is not what the flag actually does. All the
versions I tested actually displayed these sequences with "^[" taking
the place of ESC, e.g. "^[[1m", instead of letting the sequence pass
through to the terminal. Is this the intended behaviour? This is
similar to what the "less" program does if the -R flag isn't used.
Either the documentation or the program's behaviour needs to be
changed. Changing the documentation would keep consistency with "less"
and allow users to inspect files with control sequences in them. On
the other hand, being able to remove escape sequences from man pages
would be useful for users whose terminals don't support them (a tiny
number of users, probably), although those users could always
configure their "man" program not to use them (e.g. by setting
GROFF_NO_SGR). I lean towards changing the documentation to match the
behaviour.

There is also an "-R" flag for "info" that doesn't do anything (also
"--raw-escapes").