texi2html

[Texi2html] texi2html images licence

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: [Texi2html] texi2html images licence
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:52:58 +0200

Hi,

I think that we should solve the images licence issue, it is annoying to have
trouble with an issue which is rather minor. The last outstanding issue is that
it seems that debian legal doesn't like creative commons sharelike atribution.

http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html

They recommend using the GPL. That should not be an issue as these images are
GPLed in singular. However I don't feel very comfortable with the GPL images
because the phrasing of the GPL is about programs. It should also possible
to use the Artlibre licence although I don't know what is the debian legal
advice on that.

This issue appears for the distribution of the images as part as texi2html.

There is an even more troublesome issue regarding their use. As all the licence
GPL, GFDL, CC-SA, artlibre are 'viral', that is impose that all the derivative
works are under the same licence the are each other incompatible. So if I have
understood well the issue, if the images are licenced under one of these
licences they cannot be used in a manual licenced under any other licence.
Therefore they don't have any utility. To solve that issue I see 2
possibilities.

* use the 4 licences together.
* use a licence more like BSD licence such that the images can be relicensed
  under one of the above licences when included in a manual. In that case
  they may also be used in any proprietary work.

I feel uncomfortable with both options. Any of these require to get in touch
with the singular team.

Maybe the simplest thing would be to let the images under the GPL such
that it is clear that there is no issue regarding redistribution, and
have a README in the images directory that states clearly that these images
cannot be used (even in the manual if the manual is under the GFDL)?

--
Pat