Re: [Synaptic-devel] experimental task support added

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] experimental task support added
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:04:30 +0200

Hi,

sorry for my late reply.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:04:38AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
[..]
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > Sorry there is a little typo here. It should be "--task-desc $taskname"
> > (notice the missing "r").
>

> No problem, I haven't yet touched any of the groupinstall stuff other than
> make a quick "ok it seems to work" test version.

Good, thanks.

[..]
> > The interface is added to the code of synaptic and debian tasksel
> > (thanks again Joey!).
> >
> > I wonder if we should provide a additonal button "packages in task" or
> > something. But I guess this is not really need.
>
> Hmm. I think I'd want to know what's in a task before installing it but
> maybe that's just me :) Here's what the current output of groupinstall
> looks like:
> address@hidden pmatilai]$ apt-cache showgroup gnome-desktop
> Group:
>   gnome-desktop
>   GNOME is a powerful, graphical user interface which includes a panel,
> desktop, system icons, and a graphical file manager.
> Required groups:
>   base-x
> Packages:
>   gnome-user-docs
>   control-center
>   gnome-themes
>   gedit
>   gnome-system-monitor
>   gnome-applets

This looks good. I think that we may want to strip the "Group" and the
"Required groups" but "Packages:" is interessting.

> Probably need to change that a bit for Synaptic but I think I'll wait a
> bit for things to settle down before fixing the comps-backend for real.
>
> BTW does tasksel support the notion of tasks requiring other tasks?

No. This needs to be handled by the backend. I guess the easiest
solution is to just return the packages of the tasks selected + the
dependant tasks. But I'm open for suggestions of course :)

> Another thing we've been pondering about with Richard is how to present
> language-related items - Suse backend looks like this currently:
> Group: Kde-Desktop
> Available languages:
>    cs da de el es fr hu it ja lt nl pl pt ru sk sl sv ta tr
> Required groups:
>   X11
>   Basis-Sound
> Packages:
>
> ..but then similar info isn't really available in comps.xml, instead it
> has groups like "german-support" which has German manpages and things like
> that.

Debian has a similar problem. There is the problem that we have like
20 language tasks. But we don't want to display them all :)

Joeyh implemented a system where each task can call a "test"
script. This script then decides if a task is displayed or not. This
is now used to hide most of the language tasks by checking what
default locale is used (IIRC this is how it works).

>       - Panu -
Michael
--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ