[Synaptic-devel] Upgrading KDE packages

From: Guillaume Pratte
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Upgrading KDE packages
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:30:59 -0400

The question I am going to ask is not very specific to Synaptic, but if it
cannot be answered only by using apt-get on the command line then it would be
a very good candidate feature for Synaptic...

Is there a _simple_ way to, say, upgrade all one's KDE package to a new
version? « apt-get install kde » is not a satisfying answer : there are some
KDE packages I am not interrested in so I do not want to install the whole
thing all the time : I only want to upgrade all _already installed_ KDE
packages in one operation.

I've tried « apt-get upgrade kde », but it has the same meaning to apt as
« apt-get upgrade ».

I also tried a filter like this :
 - View / New filter
 - Press the "New" button at the bottom of the dialog and then rename the
filter "KDE Update"
 - In the "Rule" / "Status" tab, in the "Current" section, uncheck all but
"Installed and upgradable"
 - In the "Properties" tab, click the "New" button. Then set the property to
"Dependencies Includes kde"
 - Press OK.
 - Switch to that filter by selecting the "KDE Update" filter in the main
view.

That works well, but I always forget about this feature, and in fact, I
remembered it while writing this email.

Should't be an easier way? Any suggestions? Any other users thinking like me
that Something is missing there?

Guillaume Pratte