Re: [Synaptic-devel] Static synaptic?

From: comments
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Static synaptic?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:11:00 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Rex Dieter wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 address@hidden wrote:
[snip]

> While possible, I doubt it will work, as you want as Suse and different
> RH versions use different versions of rpm (especially Suse with rpm3 and
> RH with rpm4).  Even if does *seem* to work, you're playing russian
> roulette with the stability of your rpm databases.

Actualy, RPM is very backwards compatible.  In working for (the now evil
Caldera) for three years in the past, I worked with situations like this
often.  If I build the RPM with rpm3 then it will install correctly on
newer versions fine.

My problem is now getting the software to actualy build staticaly.

I am currently running into this error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Can't find the static GTK2 library on RH 9...

Anyone seen this?  I don't see that there are static libries for gtk2
shipped with RH9...

The entire /usr/lib listing for the gtk2-devel RPM on RH 9 is:

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include/gdkconfig.h
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so

No .a libs.  And I can't find a gtk2-devel-static RPM out there for RH9...

--
Marc C.
comments AT mecworks.com