Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki

From: Hans J Nuecke
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:28:05 +0100

Pedro, Chris,
thanks for continuously driving this topic!
And yes, would be nice to get some signs/smoke from Matthias one day ;-)
Regards
Hans

Am 20.11.2013 23:14, schrieb Lists:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:26:34 +0100
Pablo Rodríguez <address@hidden> wrote:

All I wanted to say here is that maybe GitHub (or a similar service)
may enable better cooperation. And it may also reduce Matthias’
workload on swftools.
It may.
I have reported issues in the past I’m afraid they haven’t been
fixed. With a public issue tracker, other people than Matthias can
check whether issues have been fixed or not. An even contribute
code.
Fully agree with you.  All we need is the Matthias' green light
along with public consensus, and away we go.  As stated previously,
maybe a poll of all interested parties and mailing list readers,
would be a good idea?
A poll may be fine. But I refer to a standard way of cooperating.
The suggestion of a poll was simply to check if there was a general
consensus ( amongst those who have an interest and can be bothered
to respond ), as to whether your suggestion(s) should be acted upon.
So far we have a quorum of three!

Since there are users out there who benefit commercially from this
project, maybe it would also be an idea kick off a subsidiary
donation fund ( .. even down to selling T-Shirts, Pens, Mugs, Data
Sticks, etc, etc )?! :o)

I remember watching a talk on git by Linus Torvalds. And he said there
(I don’t remember the very same words, of course) that he allows only
patches by email to only one person. And the reason for this was the
superior quality of his code. The rest should make pull requests.
Matthias currently accepts patches via email, and applies them when
approved.  As we have mentioned there are forks out there, including
that maintained by Ricard Pedroso.  How do you see their involvement?
Or don;t you?   Incidentally, if you check Viewgit,

   http://wiki.swftools.org/viewgit/

you'll see that the last patch was a giflib one, submitted by Jan
Englhardt.
This afternoon I have detected what it might be the second bug with
sound embedding. This time is when you embed .mp3 sound. The problem
is that the bug isn’t really properly reported until Matthias takes
notice of it.
Care to provide us with an example ( preferably with links to the
original files)?  IMHO, what would be good to see, is the ability
to stream or embed sound files which are in other non-proprietary
( Open Source ) formats, i.e. .ogg and .flac.  This could maybe
happen through possible allegiance with other Open Source Flash
player projects.
This is a too heavy weight on anyone’s shoulders. swftools makes sense
as (any other open source) project when is not one-man enterprise.
Because it is more than a full-time job. Or a full-time hobby, in
this case.

Of course, none can make the decision here for Matthias.
Quite.

With a user group I meant not an amount of people, but an
organization as the author of the repository in GitHub. This is an
example: https://github.com/TEIC.
Which would be taking some of the responsibility away from Matthias.
He may wish that, he may not.  His opinion and permission to proceed
in such a manner as you suggest, would be required. No?
Again, I cannot disagree with you in this point.
So.. all yell... MATTHIAS!  Are you reading this discussion?   What is
your opinion?  ;o)

Regards,

Chris.