Re: [Swftools-common] Convert Swf back to Pdf (and render text as such)

From: Dimitrios Tziouris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Convert Swf back to Pdf (and render text as such)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 22:20:30 +0200

I have some swf files created from pdfs using swftools. Is it
possible to convert them back to pdf while retaining text as such?
This issue has been discussed two years ago  but I wanted to ask if
there has been any development in the meantime, or if there is a
third-party tool that could do the job.

The only program I'm, aware of is a commercial one:
  http://www.flashjester.com/?section=tricks_flashhandout

I gave it a try but unfortunately I get only a black page with every one of my swf files.

The only way to achieve conversion back with swftools ( feel free to
correct me someone ), is to export your swf to an image with swfrender,
then recreate the pdf from he image with one of the many tools that
are out there.  Unfortunately, this method also blows out of the water
the retention of any swf elements you are wishing to keep.

I have used gfx2gfx as suggested here, but as mentioned in this thread text becomes shapes in the output. That causes the file to be 2-10x as big as the original.