Re: [Swftools-common] Installing SWFTools on Linux with yum

From: LivingDocs
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Installing SWFTools on Linux with yum
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:08:27 +0200

Thank you to all who gave me tips and advices how to compile SWFTools on Linux!

Finally I got it to work.

Benedikt

Am 12.08.2009 um 12:22 schrieb John Francis Lee:

LivingDocs wrote:
Hello again,
nobody there who can give me an advice how to solve my problems compiling SWFTools?
Benedikt

I don't know if this is much help for a MAC user on a linux that uses yum. I use ubuntu, which is a linux that uses apt-get for the same purpose. I was able just to

apt-get install g++

Maybe you can too? Sometimes linux'es have both types of package management. Alternatively there must be some way for yum to tell you what the proper package name is for g++. Finding the correct package name is a pain in the butt no matter which system you use.

But after you do get g++ installed you will discover another problem : the xpdf code is not included with in the git clone. So you will need to go to copy

ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl1.patch
ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl2.patch
ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl3.patch

You can go to

http://ftp.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

and find click'able links for the above.

Then, assuming those 4 files are in the same directory,

tar xzvf xpdf-3.02.tar.gz
cd xpdf-3.02
patch -p1 < ../xpdf-3.02pl1.patch
patch -p1 < ../xpdf-3.02pl2.patch
patch -p1 < ../xpdf-3.02pl3.patch
cd ..
tar czvf xpdf-3.02p3.tar.gz xpdf-3.02

and then copy the xpdf-3.02p3.tar.gz file to the

swftools/lib/pdf/

directory, wherever that maybe, and run the commands I found here :

specifically :

# I changed this first command from xpdf-3.01.tar.gz
perl inject-xpdf.pl xpdf-3.02.tar.gz
# this second command complained but worked somehow
./switch stable
# I think it should be
./switch latest

but all it does is

ln -s xpdf-3.02p3 xpdf

which you might do by hand. That would make the 2 commands :

perl inject-xpdf.pl xpdf-3.02.tar.gz
ln -s xpdf-3.02p3 xpdf

The last is what I would do if I did it again.

Then

make

and

sudo make install

And it "just works" :)

Maybe there's an easier way... but that's what worked for me.

There's another posting

Re: [Swftools-common] lib/art/Makefile.in

in which I tried to explain what I did to Matthias, but I assumed he knew what I was trying to talk about.

I hope you have some idea as well :)