Re: [Swftools-common] Spaces disappear for some pdfs

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Spaces disappear for some pdfs
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:49:45 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:35:47PM +0100, Jonas Petersson <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt response. I just googled a bit for Derek and he
> seems somewhat silent in the last year or so.

He's actually quite responsive. Only his xpdf releases could be a
bit more frequent...

> You seem to know roughly what the culprit is -
> if you have a rough pointer to what needs to be
> done I might be able to dig into it myself. I've done a fair bit of C
> hacking and don't mind fiddling [...]

That's good to know. Not sure whether the spacing issue is the
right warm-up exercise (pdf font handling is very quirky, and I
already forwarded this to Derek, anyway), but I won't stop you from
trying your luck :)

The problem is that xpdf ignores the horizontal width of the
character \0 (which is the space character in the font's charmap)
when updating the x position during text output.
The update of x/y happens in xpdf/Gfx.cc, in the function doShowText().

Greetings