Re: [Swftools-common] Commercial License : possible ?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Commercial License : possible ?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:32:01 +0100

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 12:05:45PM +0100, OWA OWA wrote:
> We would like to use SWFTools in a commercial software (our software
> will not be license under GPL).

That's currently not possible. What you *can* do, however,
is to deliver the swftools executables (and of course the
swftools source) together with your product, and
call the .exe files via the command-line interface from your product.
See
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
.
This should probably be in the FAQ.

> Is there a commercial version of SWFtools
> (ie : could we buy a legacy license that permit us to
> sold our software without make our source code public ?)

Not yet. Something like this would require a rewrite of
several thousand lines of code which were adapted from
other GPL projects.

> Our software will be limited to a few users.

If so, what would be the harm in distributing your software (or at
least a written offer for it) to those few users?

Greetings