Re: [Swftools-common] PySWF documentation

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] PySWF documentation
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:39:39 +0200

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 03:21:37PM -0700, Seth Birkholz wrote:
> Are there any more basic pyswf examples out there?

Yes,
    http://www.swftools.org/examples.html
contains a few scripts in the pyswf section.

I also have a number of other test scripts lying around here somewhere,
which I'll upload at the next opportunity.

I guess the best thing would be to create a tutorial around
them, like the swfc one.
I'm quite low on spare time right now, but hope to get around
to this once I've got a few hours to spare again.

> The documentation is incredibly sparse.  I tried doing "strings
> SWF.so" to get a clue and have written in swfc but I am completely
> stumped on figuring out what I can do with PySWF.

PySWF is quite alpha indeed. It's still missing a lot of core features.
I'm also not so sure whether I'll continue it, as user resonance is somewhat
low (which is probably due to missing documentation though), and
it's quite a lot of work adding new tags to it.

> Are there any documents that I can use to figure out what the
> available methods/attributes are available to PySWF?

No, no documents yet, sorry.
What you can do is use Python's build-in help feature to get
a rough idea what functions exist:

    $ python
    Python 2.3.3 (#1, Aug  6 2004, 19:25:35)
    [GCC 3.3.2 20031218 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.2-r5, propolice-3.3-7)] on linux2
    >>> import SWF
    >>> dir(SWF)
    ['Action', 'BBox', 'BackgroundColor', 'Color', 'ColorTransform', 'Font',
'Gradient', 'Image', 'ImageShape', 'Matrix', 'MoveObject', 'PlaceObject',
'Protect', 'RemoveObject', 'Shape', 'ShowFrame', 'Sprite', 'Text',
'VideoStream', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', 'create', 'load', 'verbose']
    >>> help()
    help> SWF

Greetings