Re: [Swarm-Support] Prblems encountered when Installing swarm -2.2 on Ub

From: Jakson A. Aquino
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Prblems encountered when Installing swarm -2.2 on Ubuntu 5.1 solved
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:31:28 -0300

Hi Jerry,

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 12:59:31AM +0800, benutzer wrote:
> I did not use the cvs version of swarm-2.2. I only compiled the
> official one. After commenting that line in mframe.m and correcting the
> conflicting package problem, make does its work finally. I do not know
> much about cvs and so I did not get one and compile it successfully. I
> tried to copy downloaded cvs files to cover the official one's old
> files. But during the compiling, it just prompts me that automake-1.9
> is needed and even I got the automake-1.9 installed, it still tells
> that. I think I will need to know more about cvs and see if it's the
> automake's problem.

I'm sorry that I forgot about that: compiling from cvs is
usually a bit different from compiling from a released
tarball. Did you try to run the script "autogen.sh"?

I've just downloaded and compiled the cvs version to check
whether I would have the same problem here since my automake
version is 1.7.9:

  cd /tmp
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/swarm co swarm
  cd swarm
  ./autogen.sh

As you can see above, the cvs command created a new "swarm"
directory inside the "/tmp" directory, so I'm sure that I
have the correct versions of all files. And as you can see
below, in spite of the warning about automake version, the
"./autogen.sh" correctly created the "configure" script,
and, then, I could do "configure" and "make".

  jakson@:swarm$ ./autogen.sh

  **Warning**: only tested with version 1.9.3
  of automake and may not work with version 1.7.9
  processing .
  Running aclocal  -I m4 -I . ...
  Running autoheader...
  Running autoconf ...
  Running automake --gnu  ...
  processing ./avcall
  Running aclocal  -I m4 -I . ...
  Running autoconf ...
  skipping automake in ./avcall -- Makefile.am does not exist
  processing ./libobjc
  Running aclocal  -I m4 -I . ...
  Running autoheader...
  Running autoconf ...
  Running automake --gnu  ...
  Skipping configure process.
  jakson@:swarm$ ./configure --with-tclincludedir=/usr/include/tcl8.4/ \
  --with-tclscriptdir=/usr/lib/tcl8.4/ \
  --with-tkscriptdir=/usr/lib/tk8.4/ --without-jdkdir
  jakson@:swarm$ make

I also noted that in the cvs version the line 1728 of
mframe.m is already commented. So there is no need to
comment it manually anymore.

>  It is worth note that there may be some conflicting
>  packages exist

Thanks for pointing the problem! I'll add the warning in the
tips on how to compile swarm on Debian.

Best regards,

--
Jakson A. Aquino