Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: [Swarm-Modelling] xmalloc problem

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: [Swarm-Modelling] xmalloc problem
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:27:16 -0600

Steve Railsback wrote:

Right, but: We (and apparently some others) find this xmalloc problem with a variety of codes that do not leak memory a lot and work fine until we either (a) simulate a lot more agents, or (b) run the program for a really long time.

..just a matter of what is "a lot" and whether a person really knows what that amount is that is leaked, if any. Sounds like in your case you do know. 384M (the default limit) is certainly a limit one can hit, but the advantages of not hitting it by avoiding needless waste may be worth the trouble and have performance benefits on other platforms as well. In the case of Java (Jose's case), it is all too easy to waste memory by invoking Selectors on Java methods. This causes Java object arguments to become backed by Objective C proxies and result in worsening wasted memory. What should be used are FActions instead of Selectors. These proxy can be observed accumulating if one takes a look.

So "make it bigger" can be necessary in some cases, but it is no panacea.