Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on windows; (may be this is obsolete question)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on windows; (may be this is obsolete question)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:12:31 -0600

Suman Kanuganti wrote:

I am trying to get swarm working on windows; I
downloaded windows version of swarm from
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/ . I also
downloaded jheatbugs and tried to make it, it was done
and when I ran >javaswarm StartHeatbugs I get the
ProcCtrl and just hangs, the program wont start and it
wont respond, I have to force quit it.

I guess you are talking about pretest 8? If not, get that. 2.1.1 is not supported, and is obsolete with regard to compatibility with new Cygwin and Sun JDK. If so, perhaps the symptoms you see are different on your system for some reason. You can try to make it work by adding a "Globals.env.updateDisplay ()" after "pack" calls and perhaps other GUI calls. Figuring out where is a matter of tracking the setup of HeatbugModelSwarm and HeatbugObserverSwarm either using jdb or System.out.println -- moving forward until it hangs or exits (add the updateDisplay call at that point). Also, with Sun JDK 1.4.1_04 I've had problems reading the swarm.jar file (of all things). Unpacking it and using a CLASSPATH to the unpacked directory (the directory above "swarm") may also be needed.