Re: [Swarm-Support] extension of the swarm/gis project

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] extension of the swarm/gis project
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:38:18 -0600

Jan Herrmann wrote:

During my work, I'd like to focus on a controller which realizes the
communication between GIS (for example ArcGis) and Swarm. Especially I want to
implement a tool which transfers data from/to ArcGis.

ArcView is made up of a bunch of COM interfaces, a.k.a ArcObjects.
You can treat the package as a library, much like Swarm.

To do this, you should be able to make use of the magic jactivex program from Microsoft's Java implementation and Java/Swarm. Basically what you'd do is select the features you want from ArcView (from the programmers manual), and then use jactivex to create the Java interfaces. Then you import the Java classes from ArcView and the stuff you want from Swarm into your Java code.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/htm/ctrans_0euk.asp