FW: heatbugs help

From: Ellis, Dennis
Subject: FW: heatbugs help
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:50:13 -0600

Ropella replies to a request sent in by me:

Ellis, Dennis writes:
 > After installing swarm according to the instructions in the Swarm FAQ in
 > section
 > "2.5 I'm an absolute beginner. Please tell me what to do.", I made and ran
 > 'heatbugs'. I got the following error:
 >
 > error: TkExtra (instance)

Is your DISPLAY environment variable set?  If so, does the Xserver
allow you to connect to it?

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr

  And the answer is yes in both cases.

        DISPLAY is set to localhost:0.0 (from 'echo $DISPLAY')

        'xterm &' results in an xterm window.

  Some additional info that may be relevant: the tutorials work fine in command
line mode.

Thanks for the quick reply.

  AND

Hi
Ellis, Dennis writes:
  > After installing swarm according to the instructions in the Swarm
FAQ in section
  > "2.5 I'm an absolute beginner. Please tell me what to do.", I made and ran
  > 'heatbugs'. I got the following error:
  >
  > error: TkExtra (instance)
I had the same problem when I tried to run a simulation from my linux
box at home, while Swarm and the simulation was compiled in
university unix box.
Are you "in front" of the computer in which is installed Swarm?
If not, you have to set your DISPLAY variable.
( the exact commands are
from your computer you have to write
xhost +
while from a shell of the other computer you have to write
setenv DISPLAY=yourIP:0:0
then run you simulation)
Hope this help.
                                ALEX

  See above and, yes, I am "in front" of the computer on which Swarm is
installed.

Thanks to both!

  AND from Paul Johnson:

It is necessary to install Swarm in order to use Swarm :)

swarm-static is not swarm, that is statically compiled libraries.

You need: ...

  I am currently in the process of installing gcc3 ...

  But I am confused. I thought Swarm WAS 'libraries' that were used by the sim
developer to
develop a simulation application.

Thanks for the help and pointers on where to get all the necessary support S/W.

Dennis Ellis