Re: Real Space

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: Real Space
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:02:43 -0700

In my political party formation model, the agents are positioned in a continuous issue space. Their preferences on n issues are chosen randomly from a uniform distribution. They look for their closest neighbor in the issue space and form political coalitions with that neighbor. I illustrate this for two dimensions at a time during runs using the canvas and graphs toolkit. You can see the resulting 2d animations at http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~dschreib.

Similarly, my toy cocktail party model has agents who are able to only see a certain distance and look for people they are attracted to within their vision. That model is at http://zia.hss.cmu.edu/econ/homework00/2/cocktail.html. This also uses the graph and canvas.

The cocktail code is very simple and gives a basic idea of how to use some of the canvas and graph libraries. I coded it in only a couple of hours, so it has some kludges, but you can get the idea.

So, the political party model is an instance of looking for your k-nearest neighbors (where k=1). And, the cocktail party model is instance of looking for neighbors within radius x. While I illustrate that with the canvas and graph, the search of the space is done by parsing through the lists of agents and is independent of the display issues.

Let me know if you have any questions.

        Darren