Re: Repost of Wainwright message

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Repost of Wainwright message
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:08:17 +0200

mgd:
> TW> Actually, the improvements in speed of Java with JIT are what
> TW> brought me back to Swarm after trying to build similar models in a
> TW> fully-compiled OO language (Eiffel).
>
> If I were writing a new simulation engine, I think I'd take a swing
> at Mercury.   http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury
> They've even got a real front-end for GCC.

Unfortunately, their benchmarks compare only with Prolog
implementations, as well as their arguments /wrt error handling.
OK this isn't quite as measurable but Obj-C code seems to me to
score with readibility, particularly over write-once-and-forget
Java/Swing code.

ralf
PS: Jaron Lanier was right when he wrote like: 'Did you notice how
crappy looking Applets have become lately?'