Re: floating point time scheduling

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: floating point time scheduling
Date: 23 Nov 2000 21:40:56 -0800

PJ> In that pjrepeater series, there was one that had the swarms in a
PJ> swarm example, each with its own schedule.  I did some time trials
PJ> and found the model ran faster with just the master schedule in
PJ> the higher swarm and the lower level things added their actions to
PJ> the bigger swarm's schedule (dynamic scheduling).  In other words,
PJ> I think Marcus is correct.

Performance concerns should be delayed until a problem is understood.
I wasn't trying to make any point about performance.

The reason I suggest a shared schedule is because I think it will
be complicated to get merging tiered schedules while preserving
ordered merging for the fractional values.  It's a problem that
the pjrepeater test programs don't address.

However, I must admit I haven't really thought about how to combine
custom synchronization policies on tiered schedules.

And of course, there is a trivial way to get floating point time values:
scale the numbers up.