Swarm war with Cygnus and XFree for windows, Java Swarm in Windows

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Swarm war with Cygnus and XFree for windows, Java Swarm in Windows
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:15:15 -0600

OK, I've officially hosed a WinNT setup.

I tried the XFree86 for Windows from the Cygnus site, and it didn't work
with the Swarm-provided versions of the Cygwin things, so I did the
(comparatively convenient) Cygwin 1.1 install, and, (when I wasn't
looking !) it changed my partition mount points, path, and god knows
what else.  Even if I uninstall the dang thing, it won't put all that
other stuff back. What a drag.

If anybody has Swarm living in peace with the Cygwin toolkit, I'd be
glad to know how you do it.  It appears to me now that, when I want to
use Swarm, I have to change the mounts and the PATH, and its a little
inconvenient.

Another innocent windows question, if you don't mind.  When Swarm
installed, it did not seem to check if I had Kaffe installed (does Kaffe
exist for MS Windows? I don't see it on www.transvirtual.com).  Where is
Swarm-2.1.1 getting its Java VM from?

I'm downloading the Sun JDK 1.3 for Windows now, I think I understand
that using it with Swarm is just a matter of putting its bin directory
in the path. Correct?