Fwd: swarm-directory-objc-remove bug

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Fwd: swarm-directory-objc-remove bug
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:14:39 -0600

I am repeating this message which I sent out yesterday; evidently my outgoing mail server (home.com) was having problems.

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:54:21 -0600
To: address@hidden
From: "Sven N. Thommesen" <address@hidden>
Subject: swarm-directory-objc-remove bug

Attention all Swarmers: here's the solution to a bug whose error message is rather cryptic:

I have been chasing a bug in a java Swarm simulation for a while. The symptom was that the program would crash with the following error message: "directory.m:188 swarm_directory_objc_remove".

According to Marcus, this looks like I'm trying to remove an object that's not there anymore.

As it turns out, the underlying problem appears to be that the jvm was running out of memory! My objects were all collecting history information, and when my program reached a size of about 75MB (as reported by 'top') the error occurred.

Adding the switch "-Xmx100m" to the last line in the "javaswarm" script allowed the same program to run until top reported a size of about 106MB before it crashed with the same error message.

I'm using jdk1.3 under RedHat 6.1. Use "man java" to read more about runtime switches to java.

Cheers,
Sven Thommesen