Re: reporting

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: reporting
Date: 09 Nov 2000 11:09:08 -0800

MG> Does enybody know a quick and good method to draw a
MG> toroid in a picture suitable for publication? I'm thinking about
MG> R, but I have no idea how to procede.

Here's a quick hack in OpenDX draws a torus.

 http://www.santafe.edu/~mgd/torus.net

To run it, install OpenDX.  Bleeding edge Debian, at least, has binaries, i.e.
"apt-get install dx".  There are binaries for various platforms on the
OpenDX website.

1. Start OpenDX with "dx" from the command line.

2. Click on "Run Visual Programs".

3. Select torus.net (the file referenced above)

4. Use left-click mouse dragging to rotate the torus.

Use "Edit Visual Programs" instead of Run if you want to look
at how it works.  The equation is in the Compute module -- double click
to expand it.

If you're wondering why torus.net isn't particularly readable, it is because
it isn't intended to be -- programming in OpenDX is done visually.

Finally, if you poke around on the web, you should be able to find some
nicely rendered toroids.  http://www.geom.unm.edu should have something.