tutorial question?

From: Ken Gosier
Subject: tutorial question?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:38:00 -0400

Hello, I've just installed swarm, and I'm working through the tutorial
now. I have a question about the probes that are introduced with
simpleObserverBug2.

Acccording to the README file, I should be able to pause the simulation,
by use of the Stop button on the control panel, then bring up a probe on
any bug by clicking on it. Once the probe is up, I can move it around in
successive steps by changing the values of xPos and yPos, and then
stepping the simulation.

However, I encounter the problem that swarm ignores the changes I make
in the probe. Example:

The values of xPos, yPos are 27,11.
I change these values in the probe to 0,0.
I press Step on the Control Panel, and xPos and yPos go to 28,12. (Old
values, random-walk-stepped once forward.)

I find that I can force a change by bringing up the more detailed Bug
probe, and running the setX:Y method with 0,0.

Question: Am I understanding the README correctly, or am I doing
something wrong? Many thanks--

Ken Gosier

ps. If it's important, I'm running Swarm 2.1.1 on a Redhat 6.2 Intel
machine with KDE.