Serialization

From: Mail Lists
Subject: Serialization
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:26:12 +1030

I have a question for the brains trust about serialization for the
different archiver objects. Can it easily be used to make a deep copy of
an object? My swarm agents contain a binary tree, and I was looking for
a quick and dirty deep copy of agents (several objects including the
tree). I have decided to implement the copy myself, but I'm still
curious - is it possible to use Swarm's built-in serialization
abilities? Perhaps serialize to a stream which is the input to an
archive loader object, creating a new object with copies of referred
objects underneath. I'd expect that serializing and deserializing would
be much slower in runtime then writing my own (but much quicker in
implementation time!).

Cheers,
Jason.

--
Jason Bobbin                 Phone: ++61 (0)8 83037284
Dept. of Soil and Water      Fax:   ++61 (0)8 83036511