Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus question!]

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus question!]
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:23:47 -0600 (MDT)

LRA> a. What's the difference between GPL and LGPL in whether I can
LRA> charge somebody for a copy of the executable code I write that
LRA> uses Swarm? For the source code?

With the GPL, you can charge for the executable code, but as soon
as you distribute the executable, you also must distribute
(or offer to distribute) the source code for both the model and
Swarm itself.  The LGPL only requires that you offer to distribute
the source code to Swarm, plus your modifications.  In either case,
the recipient is then free to distribute all the source they receive.

LRA> b. What's the difference between GPL and LGPL in whether I have
LRA> to give a copy of my executable Swarm code to anybody that wants
LRA> it? The source code?

Just be to clear: you aren't obligated to distribute your model
executables or even Swarm.  The GPL and LGPL only apply when you
choose to distribute (for profit or otherwise) something dependent on
Swarm.

LRA> c. What's the difference between GPL and LGPL in how I can
LRA> control what somebody else does with code I wrote?

The LGPL doesn't restrict the code you write, unless that code is a
direct modification of Swarm itself.  Those modifications, if your
model is distributed and dependent on them, must be distributed.  The
GPL makes a stronger requirement: executables dependent on Swarm fall
under the Swarm license and source code for the model must be
distributed (again, if distribution occurs).

LRA> But if an industry research institute pays me to build a modeling
LRA> system, they may not want members of the industry that didn't pay
LRA> their research dues to have easy access to the modeling system.

In the GPL model, what I think we'd need to do in that case is work
out a licensing arrangement whereby the GPL or the LGPL didn't apply.
[Of course, the Swarm Advisory Board¹ has *not* decided that this is what
we want to do, so we haven't hashed out what kind of alternative terms
might be appropriate.  The more input we get from the user community,
the easier it will be to think about future organizational structures
for the Swarm project.]

¹ The Swarm Advisory Board is Chris Langton, Roger Burkhart, Nelson
Minar, Glen Ropella, Barry McMullin, Sven Thommesen, Irene Lee, Erica
Jenn, Alex Lancaster, and myself.