Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:09:21 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> JK> I know, that's not what I meant. I was suggesting to change the
> JK> file in the tarball hosted on the SFI site in order to make live
> JK> easier for those who will download this package in the future.
>
> Ok, I've put up a patch for Linux-based systems:
>
>   ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/needed-software/hdf5-1.0.1-linux.diffs
>
> It fixes another compilation problem for glibc-2.1 based systems
> (e.g. Redhat 6).

I'd like to add support for Marcus's opinion here about redistribution of
source code packages.  Patch files are good, changing
source tarballs is bad.

Since I plan to offer up an HDF5 RPM for swarm, it is much much superior to
have the original source tarball and a patch or two
in a separate file.  That way the "pristine" source can be distributed along
with the patch in the SRPM form and users can easily
ascertain what changes were made.  The RPM idea is to always leave the source
in the pristine form, and collect patches, so there
is accountability in every step of the process.

I've always felt uncomfortable when source is edited and tarred and
redistributed from anywhere, including sfi, because that
process covers-over the changes that might affect users on some systems.