[Fwd: A question]

From: Chris Langton
Subject: [Fwd: A question]
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:28:11 -0700

--- Begin Message --- Subject: A question Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:13:41 +0000 (GMT)
Dear Dr. Langton,

Apologies for e-mailing you with a probably very obvious question, and for
e-mailing you during the festive season.

You will not be surprised to learn that the question that I have is SWARM
related.  I am an economist with an IT background in a previous life, and
am trying to learn SWARM, and use it as the vehicle for my PhD at City
University, London.  I intend to use it in my are of research, which is
long-term growth and de-industrialisation.  I am dissatisfied with the
current models of economic growth, and believe that the future of
economic analysis lies in artificial intelligence and virtual world
simulation.  Hence the question.

I have downloaded the tutorial in .pdf format - 'tutorial.pdf', and have
had a good go at trying to solve the problem, but so far with no success.
I have installed the latest edition of SWARM on an NT platform via the
Cygwin simulator.  I have been using the SWARM bash shell.

OK, now for the question.  On page 6 of the tutorial, under the heading
'Makefile', there are a number of lines to enter:

SWARMHOME=/net/........and so on.

When I get to the line starting 'include....', after pressing <return I
get the following errror message:

bash.exe: include: command not found
address@hidden _

where 'ECONOMIST' is of course the name of my machine, and the underscore
is the flashing cursor.

QUESTION : What is going wrong, other than the obvious, that the shell
does not find the program 'include'?

QUESTION : Is there something that I should have done before this stage?

Your comments and advice would be very much appreciated on this, as I have
spent a day trying to get past this stage.

In case you are wondering, my programming backgroud is in BASIC, PASCAL
and COBOL.  But I am more used to a windows type environment than a prompt
environment.

Yours sincerely, and wishing you a happy new year,

John Langley,
City University,
London.

--- End Message ---