Re: help with first Swarm app

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: help with first Swarm app
Date: 18 May 1998 11:14:29 -0600

JM> And here's what the compiler tells me:

JM> gcc -g -Lc:/swarm/swarm-1.1/lib -L/Swarm/packages/libffi/lib
JM> -L/Swarm/packages/b lt8.0-unoff/lib -L/Swarm/packages/tclobjc/lib
JM> -o EPD main.o EPDSwarm.o EPDWorld .o EPDAgent.o -lanalysis
JM> -lsimtools -lsimtoolsgui -ltkobjc -lactivity -lrandom -lobjectbase
JM> -lcollections -ldefobj -lmisc -ltclobjc -lBLT80 -ltk80 -ltcl80 -lf
JM> fi -lobjc -lm -luser32 -lgdi32
JM> EPDWorld.o:/Swarm/swarmapps-1.1/EPD/EPDWorld.m:36: undefined
JM> reference to `__obj c_class_name_Discrete2d' make: *** [EPD] Error
JM> 1

You need to tell the linker to include the space library.  In your
application Makefile you should have the line:

APPLIBS=-lspace

In binary distributions (which you obviously aren't using) this
library is in the swarm.x binary so you don't need to explicity
include the space library, this can sometimes cause confusion with
people running the same code against archive and binary installations,
respectively.

JM> Can anyone help? Additionally/alternatively can anyone recommend a
JM> good book on Objective C, which really does start with the basics?
JM> I have experience of coding in C++, but less in C. Thanks!

Have a look at, this is the best, and probably the only dedicated
Objective-C reference out there:

 http://devworld.apple.com/techpubs/rhapsody/ObjectiveC/index.html

I think that you can still order a hardcopy version - check the Apple
site.

 --- Alex

--
  Alex Lancaster         |   e-mail: address@hidden