Re: Dropping and memory usage.

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Dropping and memory usage.
Date: 14 May 1998 09:39:29 -0700

DS> The simulation I'm working on at the minute seems to have lots of
DS> memory leeks.  I'm not sure where they come from and I'm not
DS> really sure how to find out. The simulation creates alot of agents
DS> which I later drop. I think I'm dropping them properly but I might
DS> be missing something.

You might try sending -describeForEach: to the zones in your simulation
at some useful frequency, or printing the length of the Zone -getPopulation
method.

Also, although I haven't tried it lately, you can use the Boehm
conservative garbage collector with GCC.  Very recently Ovidiu
Predescu sent patches to the GCC mailing lists that communicate typing
information from the Objective C runtime to the garbage collector.
But don't bother unless the first suggestion is unhelpful and/or you
find compiler things interesting for their own sake.