RE: Help with installation, please

From: Ken Cline
Subject: RE: Help with installation, please
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:39:36 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> Hi People,
>
>   After a hiatus, I have done several things.
>
>   I re-installed Slackware 3.2, and it seems better.  Using the 1.0.3
> binary distribution of Swarm, I modified the Makefile.conf, and HeatBugs
> compiled (at least it didn't give any errors).
>
>   When I went to run Heatbugs, this is what I received:
>
> darkstar:/usr/heatbugs# heatbugs
> error: TkExtra (instance)
> Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
>     /usr/local/lib/tcl7.5 ./lib/tcl7.5 //tcl7.5/library /usr/library
> This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
>
>     while executing
> "error $msg"
>     (procedure "init" line 29)
>     invoked from within
> "init"
> IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
> darkstar:/usr/heatbugs#
>
>   Any suggestions, please?

Did you try the suggestions in the FAQ?

From: http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/swarmdocs/faq/FAQ.html

2.1.7. Swarm crashes when running test applications (common
Tcl problem)

  1.Question: Swarm seemed to compile/install fine, but
    when I run an application, it crashes and I get a
    message like this:

    could not find a usable init.tcl in the following
    directories ..... This probably means that Tcl wasn't
    install properly

    Answer: Assuming you did install Tcl properly, this
    happens because Swarm can't find libraries that it
    needs. It does not happen with the archive install
    method, assuming everything is setup right in
    Makefile.conf. Binary installation users, however,
    probably need to create ENVIRONMENT variables.

    If it is the only problem in your setup, you can fix
    without recompiling Swarm by changing your environment
    variables. First, find those libraries in your file
    system, then set the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY
    equal to the path where you found that file. The same
    should probably be done for TK. Depending on the sort of
    Unix you have, you may need to put these in either
    .profile or .bash_profile. Explicit instructions for
    environment variables for binary users are shown in
    "binary installation procedure" above.