RE: record & replay of probe activity

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: RE: record & replay of probe activity
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:45:29 -0400 (EDT)

Steve,
I agree there are two functions as you mention,
recording what one did and playback of a run including
all the changes via gui one did,
and that one might use one without the other.
(I'm sorry if that wasn't clear in my posting.)

I'm not totally comfortable with having the probe
do the recording directly, but maybe I can be convinced
of the errors of my thinking.
My concerns are:

1. I like to record all these changes in with the
   same file of initialization state *and* with
   the data that is produced.
   That way I can look at/save one file and have
   all I need to see what happened and/or to do the run again.
   I'm not sure that can be done cleanly if everything
   is turned over to probes.  (eg my report file
   will already be an open file, so I'd want to pass a
   FILE ptr to the probe, or an equivalent swarm
   output file object.)

   Of course I can imagine other people will have a preference
   for some other approach, eg, having different files
   for initial state, for recording during-run changes,
   and for output data.

2. I like having more control over what happens
   when I set a variable.
   For the recording purposes, I like having control
   of the format.
   But having a setMyVar: method allows me to do
   other things, eg, check the value being set
   and conditionally accepting it based on
   the values of other variables.
   (Of course this can get complicated and not
   work in some cases.)

In short, yes, its nice to have Swarm do as much
as possible along these lines, so users don't have
to do it, where "it" is some standard common approach.

But...I still think tools like Probes can also be much
more powerful (flexible) if they provide some
judiciously placed hooks that allow users to easily
add some custom processing.

That's why I too like the idea of an setMyVar:
method being optionally provided by the user, but if
its there, having swarm use it at all the right places
(eg in VarProbes).

I don't know...maybe I am just furiously agreeing with you!

 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html