Re: remove actions from schedule

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: remove actions from schedule
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:21:38 -0600

Doug and Roger suggested simply keeping track of actions that were
placed in the schedule that might instigate messages to a volatile
object.

And regardless of whether "remove:" actually traverses a list or not
(which it does -- and doing a "remove:" for each action that the user
is keeping track of *will* be more expensive than walking the schedule
list removing all actions that have a given object as their target),
would it be reasonable to put some extra machinery into the Activity
code to take advantage of Roger's new notification mechanism to notify
one object when another object is deleted?

It seems like this is a perfect use for such.  The Monkey (or
whatever) would contain a notify function that would alert the Swarm
(or the activity processing actions in that Swarm) in which it lives
that it's being deleted, then that Swarm would walk all of the
ActionGroups within it and remove any actions with that Monkey as the
target.

This would mean that users would have to put a notify function in
their agents (or we could embed such a thing in the SwarmObject super
class) and we would have to put some new method in the ActionGroups
that would do this.  Seems reasonable to me.... Reasonable enough to
make me think that we might already have some of it in place. Roger?

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |                                  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }