Re: Please help, nil receiver aborting.

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Please help, nil receiver aborting.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:19:51 -0700

> I tried to use swarm-96-1002.tgz. I unpacked, compiled it, and
> it seemed to me that there is no problem.
>
> And I compiled heatbugs applications from application package,
> which also seemed nice. But when I start heatbugs, then it
> stopped by
>
> nil receiver for message
> Abort (core dumped).
>
> And gdb says that,
>
> nil receiver for message
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> 0x400ae741 in tclOpenFiles ().
>
> Is there any suggestion for what happening on my machine.
>
> I'm using swarm on Linux-elf 2.0.28, gcc 2.7.2 and libc 5.3.12
> (Slackware 3.1).

Shigeo,

I guess we've seen this type of problem twice.  A search of the
mailing list archives yielded:

http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9610/0067.html
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9611/0000.html

If I recall, neither of these were answered in any kind of
detail (am I right Iqbal or Carl?).  But, they seemed to
have to do either with the installation of Tcl/Tk.  Though
Iqbal wrote several days later that he'd taken great care
in installing Tcl/Tk.

You might try sending a gdb stack trace.

glen