Re: Using collections

From: Kevin Crowston
Subject: Re: Using collections
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:04:57 -0500

I had a question about using collections for integers or other numbers.
I'd like to use the collections instead of an ordinary array so I could use
the probes and also be able to cleanly drop them, but they seem a bit
cumbersome for simple types.  First, one of the integers could be zero, but
nil (also 0) is used as the end of list marker in the loops; as well, the
contains: predicate appears not to handle searching for zeros.  Second,
since there's only room for a pointer, this would seem to leave no
efficient way to handle doubles.  Presumably the power of the
createBegin-createEnd paradigm is that I could create an Array (say), set
the type to doubles, and get back an array tailored for doubles.  I assume
that this kind of optimization is desired, but not high priority--can you
say where on the to-do list these features are?  Or maybe I've missed the
better way to do this.

Kevin