Re: Using collections

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: Re: Using collections
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:44:46 -0600

> Actually you're describing what we are calling "patrol"
> (movement) behavior, that is where the agent repeats a
> closed path/cycle.  This differs only slightly from "goal"
> behavior in which the agent stops when he/she/it reaches the
> last goal and stays there wondering where to go next (unless
> he/she/it detects another agent...).

Sounds like the start of some agent modeling "patterns," like the idiomatic
software structures that the O-O software folks have been ga-ga about the
last couple years..  A catalog of common patterns would eventually be a good
thing.

> I want to search a map for a particular key and return the
> member with that key (all members of the map will be
> unique).  I wasn't sure from the documentation whether
>
>     [mapIndex setKey: aKey]
>
> returns the member after the index is repositioned.
>
> From the source code it appears that it does.

Yes, in returning the member from the repositioning operation on the index
it's similar to the behavior of next and prev.

The whole current Map implementation is due to be replaced before long, but
this interface behavior will remain.

Roger