Re: Shared library

From: Timothy H. Keitt
Subject: Re: Shared library
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:24:39 -0700

If you mean shared library linking at run time versus static linking,
shared libraries are, in most cases, slower.  (But perhaps you are
thinking of something else?)  The main advantage to shared libraries
is that it uses less disk space.  If your machine is extremely memory
limited, then there might be situations under which run-time linking
will be faster, but generally this isn't true.

Tim

Ho-Sheng> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, glen e. p. ropella wrote:
>> > Out of curiosity: is there an advantage (or disadvantage) in
>> using > dynamically linked Swarm libs?  Definite advantage.
>> Dynamic loading allows optimization of the process that provides
>> performance levels light-years beyond that of static loading.
>> Unfortunately, we don't have a dynamically loadable version of
>> Swarm, yet.

Ho-Sheng> So in other words, it isn't enough to compile Swarm as
Ho-Sheng> shared library, but portions of the code has to be
Ho-Sheng> rewritten? Which portions would they be?