Re: Error creating objects.

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Error creating objects.
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 08:55:39 -0700

> I'm simulating the thermoregulation of bees. They are agents like the
> heatbugs example but are surrounded by Wall objects.
> Walls don't do much in my simulation except just sit there and insulate but
> its always nice to make everything an agent.

Indeed.  And these Walls are squares with some kind of thermal
conductivity?  Do the Walls occupy space?  I mean, is your
neighborhood larger than the von neuman or moore neighborhood
for any individual bee?

Where did you get the idea for using these Walls?  I'm going to
eventually continue writing my simulation that will parrot Luc Steels'
experiments on the emergence of language and I will need some way of
defining the "boundary" of my agents.  It can't be the usual adjacency
criterion because they will be able to see, recieve, and transmit over
small distances.  It seems to me that a model of heat transfer across
a boundary might be a good model for finding signals in a background
of ambient temperature/light.

Along other lines, I've been thinking a bit about the basis for
self-awareness (again, spurred on by Luc's assumption of the agent's
ability to "point at" or refer to some object in the distance).  I
would like to extract the basic mechanism for this ability to
distinquish "self" from "other" so that I can capture that in a
simulation.  If I could build the basics into a sim as aspects of the
sensorimotor skills of agents *without* explicitly giving the agents
the ability to distinquish "self," but giving them the ability to
convolve the sensory inputs and control mechanisms of their
"appendages," self-awareness might emerge.  Of course it would be a
very primative self-awareness. [grin]

But, I firmly believe (even though I lack the background research)
that our sense of self is an emergent phenomenon of our sensorimotor
exploration of our environment.

Anyway, sorry to ramble.

glen