Re: Questions on SWARM

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Questions on SWARM
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:32:13 -0700

> 1- Is there any hope of Perl being linked to objc instead of Tcl?

I doubt it.  Tcl provides easy access to Tk, which is the basis
for most of our graphics.  And, even in the event that we later
trash Tk and begin using something else, it will likely be Java
and it's corresponding graphics capabilities, which would probably
preclude using Perl, as well.

> 2- The developers of the GENESIS neural network simulator are beginning
> contemplation of the rewrite of GENESIS in C++ or OBJ-C and a popular script
> language as opposed to C and homegrown script language. I just joined
> this list and noticed some posts about successful cross-platform
> compilation. Could someone post a summary of what I may have missed
> Re: the current/planned portability of Swarm to DOS/Win95/NT/Mac?

Well, Doug Orr just posted his notes on his efforts to get GCC/Obj-C
running under Windows NT (Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 16:25:48).  But,
there isn't really any "planned" port to any of the MicroSoft or
Apple Platforms.  But, having said that, the port to WinNT is the
most likely (to be done and to be useful once done, since nobody is
doing any serious science on Win95's ... [grin]).  The only anticipated
problem is the direct X raster usage in Swarm.

glen
p.s. Sorry about the spurious messages to swarm-support.  I'm reconfiguring
my sendmail config on my linux box at home and, in doing so, I was so
distracted as to send majordomo commands to the list instead of majordomo.
.... ill-formed majordomo commands at that.