Re: Raster to Postscript

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: Raster to Postscript
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 16:08:22 -0600

At 01:22 PM 1/9/97 +0000, Barry McMullin wrote:
>At 15:44 09/01/97 GMT, you wrote:
>>I'd like to output Postscript versions of raster objects. e.g. the Two
>>dimensional display of Heatbugs. I've managed to output graphs and
barcharts but
>>am not sure what the equivalent mechanism is with raster diplays.I only
need the
>>contents of the window, not necesarilly the whole thing.
>

>I just use xv - it has an integrated screen grabber (which is very
>easy to use) an can save the captured image in a variety of formats,
>including .ps.  Of course, this does *not* get you "programmed"
>screen dumps, under the control of your app - is *that* is what you
>want, this approach won't work...
>
>Barry.

David,

I have tried to do the same; see recent posts.
Under Tcl/Tk, only "canvas" items seem to have the ability to write
themselves to disk as .eps files. I added code to the swarm Canvas object to
dump itself to disk like that; then I added code to the Probe displays to
make available a pointer to the highest-level canvas widget they have. When
I call on a probe display to dump itself to disk, I DO get an eps file on
disk -- but it contains only the lines defining the outline, none of the
contents of the window :-(
I'll be happy to send you my code if you want to pursue it. I haven't tried
to attack the bug displays (Rasters) yet.

--Sven