Re: a couple of swarm questions

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: a couple of swarm questions
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:39:15 -0400 (EDT)

re Step, I was just thinking of "run one Time step."
I agree with ginger, run N steps is very common, too.
(I can see your point about other "step" sizes, but I'll
bet one T step will have a lot of use.)

Re: the forthcoming better starting of swarm, including batch mode:
that's good news.  (I've been doing it via tcl scripts
outside of swarm, to do multiple runs with different seeds,
to sweep parameters, etc.)

In that regard, (perhaps I mentioned this before...) one feature
that I think is important is to have each run produce a
file of parameter settings, including the RNG seed,
that can be easily fed back into a subsequent run
(eg thru a command line parameter specifying a file of
parameter settings) to reproduce that run exactly.
So perhaps with the Experiment object you mentioned
below, an easy way to save it and then restart a run using
those same values.
It will also be nice to have an easy way to re-produce
a set of runs, all with the same parameter settings,
but each with different seeds (but the same seeds as
used the first time the runs were done).
And finally, to be able reproduce a parameter sweep
of runs, each with a bunch of runs with unique seeds,
but again using the same set of seeds as when the first
runs were done.

thanks.
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html