swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] Review: The wealth of nature: how mainstream economics

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Review: The wealth of nature: how mainstream economics has failed the environment.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:14:41 -0700

The economists and ecologists out there may find this review interesting. I find it a little ironic that the book's criticisms could just as well be leveled at mainstream ecology.

Steve Railsback

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Ecology: Vol. 85, No. 6, pp. 1766–1767.

The Emperor Has No Clothes
Todd Wellnitza

aColorado State University, Biology Department, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 E-mail: address@hidden

Nadeau, Robert L. 2003. The wealth of nature: how mainstream economics has failed the environment. Columbia University Press, New York. xii + 253 p. $29.50 (cloth), ISBN 0-231-12798-7 (alk. paper); $29.50 (paper), ISBN 0-231-12799-5 (alk. paper).

In essence, what Nadeau tells the reader of The wealth of nature is this: neo-classical economic theory, the basis for mainstream economics as it is presently understood and practiced, cannot solve our global environmental problems because it is a sham. Its founders endowed their discipline with ill-got legitimacy and false rigor by hijacking equations from 17th century physics, replacing physical variables with economic qualities, and fostering a discipline that quickly forgot its bastard origins. Modern economics, therefore, is premised on an outmoded cosmology based on Newtonian physics, not a modern understanding of how the universe functions. This cosmology envisions a self-contained universe comprised of autonomous parts, obeying intuitive laws, and embedded within fixed frames of reference. The modern economist does not realize, or is afraid to acknowledge, that this model is fundamentally flawed—that parts (e.g., economic actors and organisms) are interdependent and show complex behavior, that wholes (e.g., markets and ecological communities) are open systems that respond readily to outside influences, and that the accepted frame of reference (neo-classical economic theory) is in desperate need of revision. To prevent environmental catastrophe we must dismantle this antiquated and dangerous version of reality with all possible speed. In its place we must erect a new economic paradigm based on a clear-eyed understanding of the part-whole relationship and a sobering acknowledgement that complex systems, whether they be global markets or ecosystems, are interconnected, idiosyncratic and unknowable.

Rather heavy stuff, this, but Nadeau pulls it off in just 223 pages (minus introduction, notes, and index). “[A]n interdisciplinary scholar, historian of science, and a professor at George Mason University,” Robert Nadeau has a burly intellect and watching him flex is both impressive and, at times, somewhat intimidating. With consummate skill he surveys scientific disciplines ranging from ecosystem ecology to quantum physics, and pulls out conceptual slabs from each to support his contention that modern economics is not equipped to handle today's problems. For example, he uses ecology to show that the emergent properties exhibited by complex systems (e.g., markets or ecosystems) can neither be understood by, nor predicted from, the properties of their constituent parts, as conventional economics would have us believe. Elsewhere he uses quantum physics to illustrate that neo-classical economic theory fails to appreciate that descriptions of reality (e.g., economic trends) cannot be viewed as objective and independent from the observer; rather, the very act of observing can change what is observed.

Although the breadth and depth of the author's knowledge is remarkable, his writing style is not. Nadeau has a nasty propensity for complex verbage. In his chapter entitled “A green thumb on the invisible hand,” for example, Nadeau complains that market-based solutions to environmental ills appear workable “only because assumptions about part-whole relationships in economic reality implicit in the formalism preclude the prospect that actual or real costs associated with damage done to the environment by economic activities can be included in the calculations.” Oftentimes his well-ordered sentences become so densely worded that reaching a period became a minor intellectual achievement and paragraph breaks were welcome respites. More than I would have liked, understanding required concentrated effort and a second reading.

Despite the verbosity of much of The wealth of nature, Nadeau still demonstrates some obvious strengths. Nadeau is at his best when squeezing reams of complex information into tight summaries. Especially good was Chapter 4, entitled “No free lunch,” in which he deftly reviews the genesis of the global market economy, from the development of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank in the closing days of WWII to the formation of the World Trade Organization (WTO) at the end of the century. He also makes insightful observations about recent events, such as the collapse of Enron and the United States' failure to sign the Kyoto Treaty limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Throughout these surveys Nadeau stays on topic and faithfully returns to environmental concerns. Writing about Enron, for example, Nadeau observes that

there has been no discussion thus far in print or the electronic media of the fact that the core business of Enron was to make enormous short-term profits by deregulating global markets for the exchange of scarce natural resources without any concern whatsoever for the long-term availability of those resources or the adverse environmental impacts associated with their wholesale exploitation and use. Another large something that seems to be conspicuously missing in the current soul-searching public debate is that the vast majority of resources traded by Enron were massively subsidized by taxpayers.

Excellent and stimulating summaries of evolutionary biology and quantum physics also occur later in the book.

Disappointingly, Nadeau is less successful in exploring the historical landscape to find where the early economists stumbled. I was expecting a lively romp across familiar territory with forays into unknown hollows and furtive glens. There we did go, but at a plodding trudge rather than an invigorating hike. After only 25 pages I found my attention waning. Nadeau is an impressive scholar, but he is too fastidious. He uses a dental pick and forceps to uncover evidence when a hammer and chisel would have done just fine. Although Nadeau does an admirable job of gathering facts here, I wish he could have done so with a little more gusto.

I suspect the author's dense writing style and the book's slow start will put off the casual reader, which is too bad because Nadeau rewards the resolute. He has some good stuff to share, making The wealth of nature well worth the read. The connections he makes between economics and the natural sciences are as fascinating as they are inspired. His ideas are unique, packed with substance, and bundled together with persuasive arguments. He so pummels mainstream economics that by the last chapters the reader is more than ready to learn what steps must be taken in order to launch the New Paradigm, the economic theory that will move environmental concerns front and center and save our planet from growth-driven disaster.

Trouble is, Nadeau doesn't know what the steps are. He can tell us what the New Paradigm will look like when it's built, but hasn't the foggiest idea of where to start, much less a blueprint for building it. Granted, developing new paradigms is difficult even under the best of circumstances, but I still felt somewhat cheated. Nadeau implies that there is a better way, and that he will get to it just as soon as he has finished chipping away the scientific pretense that surrounds neo-classical economics. In the end, however, there are only hopeful allusions to what might be done and should be considered. We are left feeling like a passenger on the Titanic who has just read an excellent account of the vessel's design flaws and conceptual mistakes by an author who, while quite good at times, is no shipwright.