swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] 3 announcements

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] 3 announcements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:55:10 -0700

I would like to make 3 announcements:

1. We just updated and expanded our “EcoSwarm” library of Objective-C classes that support ecological (and other) modeling in Swarm. See http://www.humboldt.edu/~ecomodel/software.htm

EcoSwarm now includes:
o BreakoutReporter: provides statistical summaries of agent state, broken out by up to 5 categories.
o       InterpolationTable: A lookup table and interpolation function.
o       SolarManager: Calculates day lengths and solar radiation influx.
o SurvivalProbabilityManager: Builds probabilistic models of survival, for mortality risks that vary with characteristics of both agents and habitat.
o       TimeManager: Provides many handy date & time functions.
o       TimeSeriesInputManager: Reads in and manages time-series input data.
o YearShuffler: Randomly re-orders the sequence of years in time-series input to a model. o Poisson, binomial distributions: Integer random distributions (which will be included in Swarm’s random library in the upcoming new release of Swarm).

2. We (Humboldt State University’s mathematical modeling program) will host the 2005 World Conference on Natural Resource Modeling, June 14 to 17, here in the beautiful redwood coast of northern California. Anyone interested in organizing or contributing to sessions (or other special events) related to agent-based simulation to contact me, or the official organizer, Dr. Roland Lamberson address@hidden .

The 2006 conference will be in Bergen, Norway, another hotbed of individual-based modeling. We hope this series becomes a home for agent-based simulation in natural resource-related (including economic as well as ecological) modeling.

3. The book “Individual-based Modeling and Ecology” by Volker Grimm and Steve Railsback is now in production at Princeton University Press. We provide a primer on modeling, a conceptual foundation for individual-based modeling, an approach to theory and its development, guidance on many practical issues, and many example models and applications. I hope the book can be quite useful to people working in fields other than ecology, as well.

Unfortunately, the book is unlikely to be officially available until next summer. We put some example text on a web site http://www.humboldt.edu/~ecomodel/book.htm and encourage people to contact us for more information.

Steve Railsback

--
Lang Railsback & Associates
250 California Ave.