swarm-modeling

question: what is an appropriate superclass for "non-agent" objects?

From: Aris Alissandrakis
Subject: question: what is an appropriate superclass for "non-agent" objects?
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:18:17 -0000

Hi,

For my simulation I have created an object class called "Vector" which is
essentially a List containing Integers plus a few useful methods like
add/remove a  member, check if a vector is equal to another, make the vector
members equal to the members of another vector, etc...

My question is this: what kind of superclass should I use? So far I am using
CreateDrop (for which I can't find precise documentation anywhere in the
Swarm Reference Guide, but it seems to work fine), but I suspect that when
an object instance is dropped, not all the memory is released... CreateDrop
doesn't directly recognise "drop"and I would like to define somewhere how to
drop the List within the object and its contents... I am using far too many
instances of this object in my simulation and it seems that there is a huge
memory leak somewhere, I am guessing due to the unreleased Lists...

In general what do you think is an appropriate superclass to use for objects
that contain complex structures within (like collection types, other objects
etc) but are not really "agents" with behaviours and activity schedules to
be Swarms...

Thank you.

Aris Alissandrakis
Adaptive Systems Research Group