swarm-modeling

swarm-based assistantships at Utah State

From: Paul Box
Subject: swarm-based assistantships at Utah State
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:51:34 -0700

Hello List

I am looking for graduate students to work on two projects that I have funded
at Utah State University.  One is for a Ph.D. student, fully funded for four
years, and will involve modeling of grazing animals, diet selection, and plant
succession in a GIS-based environment.  I have a dual appointment, and could
direct a student through an  ecology, earth systems science, or human
geography degree (human dimensions in natrual resources), depending on the
interests of the student and the potential contribution to the project.

I also have funding for at least one masters student, to work on one of
several other projects (tratiditional fisheries in the Aleutian Islands,
insect infestations of vinyards, recreational management in the Caribbean,
invasive weed spreading), again depending on the interests and abilities of
the potential applicant.

Both projects will require use of swarm to support modeling efforts, with a
heavy emphasis on GIS.  There is a wide range of tasks to be completed in
these projects, and a wide variety of skills which could be used in completing
them.

At USU we have a state of the art remote sensing GIS lab, with over 100 Sun
workstations, several terrabytes of data storage, and licences for most of the
current RS/GIS software.  Logan is a small rural community some 100km north of
Salt Lake City, nicely isolated from all the chaos of the olympics.  There is
great opportunity for winter and summer outdoor recreation. USU is Utah's land
grant college, a Carnegie 1 institution, with a strong tradition in range
management, wildlife ecology, forest managemnt, and irrigation engineerning.

If you know anyone who is interested in an assistantship here, please contact
me at address@hidden .  I will also be attending this year's swarmfest,
and will be very eager to talk with anyone who is interested.

// Paul Box
// Geography and Earth Resources
// Utah State University

   body of the message.