swarm-modeling

Re: How to eat, how communicate.

From: Chris Langton
Subject: Re: How to eat, how communicate.
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:06:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jacobo...

   It would be very helpful if you would give a more extensive overview
of the system you are trying to study and the approach you are planning
on taking to model it. I am currently implementing a Swarm-based model
of traditional agricultural systems in Bali which involves the production
and expenditure of energy, the encoding and manipulation of cultural rules
and rituals, and etc. It sounds as though our models could share some
common features.

   Also, it is a great help in answering specific questions about
modeling some system if the modeler has described "the big picture"
somewhere, so that it can provide a context within which to understand
and answer your specific questions. I.e., how you treat energy exchange
etc. will depend significantly on the role that energy will play in your
overall model, what data you have on it, and what questions you are going
to want to ask about it.

  So - if you could give us "the big picture" of your research endeavor,
we'll be able to provide better, more informed help....

  By the way, I'm copying this response over to address@hidden,
which is where this discussion belongs. I'd like to encourage people with
*modelling* questions to post on swarm-modelling rather than on swarm-support.

  Chris Langton