[STUMP] Flipping heads in group to groups in head!

From: Mikael Jansson
Subject: [STUMP] Flipping heads in group to groups in head!
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 13:37:59 +0200

Heya,

I want to keep a group visible on one of my monitor at all times and just change the group of my main screen. Typically the always-visible-group is for IRC, documentation and similar.

The way StumpWM works right now is to keep all heads and associated frames per group. What I suggest is to flip it around, such that each head has a list of groups, independent of each other.

Say you have a 3-head setup with the groups

  h1:h1g1 h2:h2g1 h3:h3g1

where hNgM is head N's group M. Initially, groups couldn't be moved between heads, although that would probably be easy to add support for.

So: When any frame on h1 has focus and you do 'gselect 3', the new layout will be

  h1:h1g3 h2:h2g1 h3:h3g1

This is a super-set of the current behaviour, which could be emulated by gluing heads together so gselect would change groups on all heads glued together with the current. Say you have h2 and h3 glued together and then issue gselect 4. You'll get

  h1:h1g3  h2:h2g4  h3:h3g4

with h1's group still at 3 after the previous command.

Comments?

--
Mikael Jansson | http://mikael.jansson.be | GPG Key 0x88986608