Re: [STUMP] Flipping heads in group to groups in head!

From: Mikael Jansson
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Flipping heads in group to groups in head!
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:09:14 +0200

On 05/24/2011 04:19 PM, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:01, Michael Raskin<address@hidden>  wrote:
With the new changes it would be that you have a group per head and
frames within the group.

I understand that part.

I would think that the group bindings that exist would still work the
same regardless of which
head you're on.

That depends. It is an interesting question whether groups _should_
be able to migrate between heads; if yes, we will have unified group
numbers for all groups for all heads (that may be a problem for
people liking to have lots and lots of groups); if no, there is
a questiona whether we want bindings to switch to group #n on current
head or whether we want a binding to switch to group #n globally
on the head where it belongs. Both cases have advantages and drawbacks.

In order to keep things consistent, it would be nice to have all the groups
I want, and then switch to group #n on current-head.  This would work
the same as frames do currently  If I've got 5 frames and am showing
3,  when I do<prefix>-n it will switch between the current frame and the two
non-displayed frames.  That sort of behaviour makes sense for groups as
well since it is consistent.

So if I have 2 heads and 10 groups, I should be able to cycle through
9 groups per head by doing<prefix>-g n.

That's only useful if your groups have the same layout. I have two monitors of different sizes and thus won't be able to use them. And I don't want my groups to be scaled up/down when they move between heads.

That's why I want groups per-head. Although, that could be fixed by "sticking" a group to a specific head, not allowing it to move to another group.

--
Mikael Jansson | http://mikael.jansson.be | GPG Key 0x88986608
Limp: The Vim Lisp IDE - http://mikael.jansson.be/hacking/limp