Re: [STUMP] Erratic Input Focus

From: Shawn
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Erratic Input Focus
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 21:17:37 -0800

Florian Beck <address@hidden> writes:

>> Symptom: When I select-window stumwm correctly switches to the desired
>> window but keyboard input does not work (i.e. I cannot type).
>
> No idea, anyone? Probably related: after I split windows (vsplit/hsplit)
> I can double click the other window; sometimes that does change the
> focus (and »Current Frame« is displayed in the other window), sometimes
> it doesn't. What could be responsible?

The window you are clicking is responsible. It can request a focus
change and stumpwm by default will honour it.

> For example, I have firefox and emacs side by side. Emacs has the focus.
> If I click the firefox window, the focus changes (and stumpwm displays
> »current frame«). Now firefox has the focus. Clicking the emacs frame
> does *not* change the focus. However, emacs still responds to mouse
> clicks (e.g. opens a file in dired or scrolls a buffer); nevertheless,
> the focus remains in the other buffer, in this case firefox.

Yes, firefox is the only program I know of that does this. It's
unrelated to your problem below.

>> I have this in my .stumpwmrc:
>>
>> (defcommand goto-shell () ()
>>   "Goto existing xterm."
>>   (select-window "address@hidden"))
>>
>> (define-key *top-map* (kbd "H-s") "goto-shell")
>>
>> H-s takes me to the shell, but (sometimes) I need to repeat H-s to be
>> able to type.

I can't reproduce this.

>> - emacs
>>
>> (define-key *top-map* (kbd "H-e") "select-window EmacsMain")

I can't reproduce it, with this version either.

>> I have several such definitions for several frames. Here, pressing H-e
>> repeatedly does not help, I have to switch (randomly) between emacs
>> frames before input works again.
>>
>> Any ideas? Hints how to debug this would be very helpful.

I'm not sure why this would happen.

Let's start with some basics: What architecture, what OS, What version
of stumpwm, What lisp version?

next does

C-t ' address@hidden

work? does this work:

C-t ; goto-shell

Have you tried removing everything but the above defcomand and
define-key lines from your rc file to see if that fixes it?

I guess we'll go from there.

-Shawn