Re: [STUMP] on Debian can't to start stumpwm

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: [STUMP] on Debian can't to start stumpwm
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:27:32 +0200

Hello!

I'm the StumpWM Debian maintainer, in case someone doesn't know ;-)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:23 +0200, csanyipal wrote:
> I like to try Stumpwm on my Debian Etch system because it is an
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> interesting interface for me. I use before the Window Maker, but
> that is not like Stumpwm. I look at the screenshots. :)

Please, for any Debian-specific problem, use the Debian Bug Tracking
System at [1].

> So, I installed stumpwm, sbcl, cl-clx-sbcl, cl-asdf, clisp,
> cl-launch, emacs21.

You should decide which Common Lisp (from now on, CL) implementation
you want to use and then installing the necessary packages:

- CMUCL (not present on amd64, though) with cmucl-source

- SBCL with cl-clx-sblc (this is my advice, what I use everyday)

- CLisp (but StumpWM from CVS doesn't work with CLips-2.41 compiled
  with NEW-CLX, which is the one Debian provides on most
  architectures)

CL-Launch and Emacs21 aren't needed at all: the former is useful if
you want to create a CL script, the second one if you want to connect
to the running CL through SLIME [2].

> I red the stumpwm README to find out how can I run stumpwm.

Have you read /usr/share/doc/stumpwm/README.Debian [3]?  It contains
information about how to start StumpWM.  When installing a package on
Debian, please always first refer to the Debian documentation and then
to the upstream one.

> I search for the way how can I run stupmwm on Google, and in
> stumpwm-devel list Archieve but still don't know the way.

There's an open Debian bug about how to start StumpWM for CL newbies,
it's bug #356948 [4].  As you can read at [5], I'm working on a
solution for bug #356948 and a new Debian package is expected in the
next two weeks.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: